Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Rum , Rome and Royalism: From Dr. James White

Rum , Rome and Royalism

I would much rather belong to a church five centuries behind the times and majestically indifferent to the fact than to a church five minutes behind the times, frantically running to catch up.

Monday, February 28, 2005

From Dr. James White

Dr. James White, Director of Alpha and Omega Ministries has put two pieces on his blog recently that I thought worth linking to. Needless, to say, I don't agree with this but it's too funny not point out. The lightbulb joke is one of my favourite genres of humour, but most attempts at an aplication to catholicism that I've seen strike me as terribly strained.

On a far more serious note is this post on the death of Mormon apologist Hugh Nibley. As a catholic who accepts the Church's teaching on invincible ignorance, I'm slightly more optimistic than Dr. White about the possibility of one who dies a believing Mormon entering heaven, but I am fully behind Dr. White in his insistence that there is an objective truth about God and that humans ignore or reject this truth at our peril.

The existence of a single God who made all things is not a matter of faith, reason clearly proclaims it, and the Mormons deny this basic truth. Well, as Dr. White says, Hugh Nibley now knows that there is one God, having stood before that One God's judgement seat, I pray he received a favourable outcome.