Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Rum , Rome and Royalism: Smells Good

Rum , Rome and Royalism

I would much rather belong to a church five centuries behind the times and majestically indifferent to the fact than to a church five minutes behind the times, frantically running to catch up.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Smells Good

As I write this post I'm listening to "Nevermind" the 1991 albumn by Seatle Grunge R band Nirvana. I've been listening to said albumn quite a lot lately and am getting hooked. Back in 91 I thought Grunge was just a lot of noise, but the more I listen, the more I discover a surprising diversity of melody and structure.

Some years back, I was shocked and outraged when the Australian National University student newspaper "Woroni" printed an article which awarded "Nevermind" the title of "Greatest Rock Albumn Ever". Now, don't get me wrong, I still disagree (I think I'd give the palm to Bob Dyalns "Highway 61 Revisited"") but the claim of "Nevermind" is nowhere near as silly as I once thought.

Now, I make no claims to be an expert on grunge (I couldn't even explain what it is that puts a song in that genre) but I think that one would get a general agreement that Nirvana are the greatest grunge band ever and that "Nevermind" is the greatest ever grunge albumn.

Now, what inspired to write this post, was a discovery I made yesterday. As most people know, the lead singer and guitarist of Nirvana was the late, great, Kurt Cobain, a man almost synonomous with grunge. Now "Nevermind" has twelve songs on it and eleven of them were written by Mr. Cobain. But what really surprised me was the discovery that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" the lead single from the albumn and the one Nirvana song most people know was written by Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl.